Scobie Pond derives it's name from John Scobie, a linen weaver who owned the pond in 1733. For most of the eighteenth and nineteenth century the area surrounding Scobie Pond was inhabited only by the native wildlife and a few hundred free-range sheep. Topographic maps from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century indicate the area remained unsettled and in 1932 the Town of Londonderry discontinued Scobie Pond Road which extended from what is now Brewster road to the northwest, eventually intersecting with Wood Avenue.
In the early 20th century, Scobie Pond was considered a well-kept secret by area fisherman who often lined the shore. In 1933, the Beaver Fish and Game Club of Derry decided to “improve” the pond by killing off the so-called junk fish and replacing them with trout and salmon. To make the project more manageable, the 77-acre pond was reduced to one-third that size by selective damming and then pumping its water into Beaver Brook. After weeks of work an estimated 100 million gallons of water had been removed from the pond and its water-level brought down by 30 inches.
There still seems to be good fishing in Scobie Pond. One modern source lists bass, pickerel, horned pout, black crappies, blue gill and perch as being there in relative abundance. These are the descendants of the fish that somehow survived the genocidal poisoning by the Beaver Fish and Game Club in 1933.